Do you listen to music when you’re writing? Light a candle? Pour yourself some water or a glass of wine?
We all have different habits when it comes to writing and things that get us in the mood to write. And it’s great! But, more to the point — how many times have you found yourself in the middle of a writing project only to reach for your drink to find it not there? Or wanting to turn on music and missing your headphones? Ya, us too.
With it being NaNoWriMo, we thought we’d compile an essential list of things to do to get in the writing mood and keep you from forgetting the essentials that help you be the most productive!
Essential Writer’s Checklist
- Put on your writing playlist
- Grab your favourite drink
- Have a snack ready
- Crack your knuckles
- Put your phone on silent
- Light a soothing candle
- Grab your headphones
- Set a timer
- Find a writing prompt
- Get out your plot outline
- Get out your mood board
- Put on your fuzzy socks or slippers
- Text your writing buddy for motivation
- Set writing goal
- Find a writing spot
- Do some stretches – you’ll be sitting for a while
- Refer to your character outlines
- Have a pen ready for those impromptu ideas
- Take a 5 minute break to stretch your legs
- Turn off notifications on your computer
- Put up a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign
- Hide page numbers
Download the checklist here.
What are some of your writing habits? What things get you in the right mood to start writing? Do you have a checklist before you start writing? Let us know in the comments!